Handvo is the traditional Gujarati savoury cake prepared in a manner where you just cannot go wrong. The flour used in Handwo generally consists of corn, rice and chana dal. Handva flour can be bought from any indian store. If you can't find it just try this method and see the difference in taste.
For the tempering:
- Wash and soak the rice and dals together for 4 to 5 hours. Drain and keep aside.
Grind to a paste, add the sour curds and allow to ferment overnight.
- Add the grated pumpkin, 4 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, soda bi-carb, sugar, chilli powder, turmeric powder, green chilli-ginger paste and salt and mix well.
- Pour this batter into a greased tin or a thali.
- Four the tempering, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and fry until they crackle. Add the - sesame seeds, ajwain and asafoetida and continue to fry. When the sesame seeds are golden in colour, pour this over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 30 to 35 minutes till the crust is golden brown.
Another Method of Making Gujarati Handvo - Watch a Video